Mixed messages?



The above photos are collages I made on Picnik, using images from www.pinterest.com before they closed. I was formulating ideas about how I was going to decorate my sitting room. There is little I enjoy more, than poring over paint charts and magazines and brochures, planning and thinking about what I would like. The trouble is, in my head I can mix   industrial chic with cottage garden and a bit of French detailing, thrown in for good measure. The trouble is, I like everything. I am very susceptible to other people's ideas. The trouble is, is my head, I do not worry one iota about expenses. The trouble is, in my head, everything is new, and I don't have to fit in  my old stuff.
 Hence, sometimes what is in my head is very difficult to translate into reality!
Sometimes, things have to go wrong before they go right.

Here is my sitting room, before the assault.



The walls were painted a light stone colour, with 2 walls having a tongue and groove paint effect.There was a painted panel over the fireplace. My curtains and cushions were the same chintz pattern. So the whole effect was creamy and pretty, with a few red accessories.


I imagined that I would like a complete change. I wanted a dark grey on the fireplace wall with a lighter grey on the rest. Industrial style lights, metal baskets and filing cabinet style furniture. No, hang on, perhaps that is just a little too modern for me! Perhaps I could combine the greys with a potting shed kind of theme. I was beginning to get a little confused, as you can imagine. So, I thought I would start with a colour for the fireplace wall.......Slate Grey................


Mmmm, love the colour, but just not sure if it's me. I will try the other walls...an offwhite as a base, colourwashed  with French Grey.............

Mmm, more French looking, more me.....oh oh, the dark wall has to go now. 

I added the blue doors from my larder cupboard, a seagull and some starfish.....not what I had planned in my head at all, but I like it.

Above the fireplace I pasted an enlarged image I got from the http://graphicsfairy.blogspot.co.uk...my cottage by the sea. The white fireplace was antiqued using a grey wash. That is the story so far. I need to either get a new sofa, or make a new cover as my old one, although it goes, has seriously shrunk from all the washes it gets. The floor is mahogany coloured wood, which I would prefer painted. I need new curtains. So, you can see I have a bit of work to do yet. 

I have learned a valuable lesson though, to listen to my own heart. I am a romantic, I like pretty things, it is allright if my house stays like that, regardless of what is in the magazines or on the web. I can like other things, as long as I live with what makes ME happy, and my family of course. (My husband doesn't know why I wanted to change in the first place, but he would have left the colours that the previous owners had).
Do any of you have these tumultuous battles with yourselves, I would love to know? I will finish with some pretty flowers to  make you smile.




Aren't the foxgloves fabulous, they just make me think of 1930's children's books? Have a lovely weekend, and thanks for listening to my madness. Love Linda x

Nhận xét