Blackbird

source.
When my Dad was alive, he used to say if there was an after life that he was going to return as a Blackbird. I like to think that he did. There was a blackbird in my garden the other day, he had a little circle of grey around his roguish little eye, and I thought to myself, is that you Dad? He was looking a little sheepish, when I spied him, and then he flew away. It was not until later, when I went to pick some raspberries, that I understood why. The biggest, juiciest, red berry was gone! I didn't mind.

photo from here.

I have always loved the way Blackbird's look, with their sunshine yellow beaks, and that little matching ring around the eye, and of course the fact that there is always a Mrs. Blackbird, not far away. (I think that was the reason my Dad chose to become a Blackbird).

 There seems to always be some kind of a connection between me and and my fine feathered friend. In the 70's growing up, there was a group from the West Country called 'The Wurzels', they were a rather raucous bunch , who sang about tractors and combine harvesters and the like, and we kids loved them. I didn't realise just how deeply we had all absorbed these songs until my sister's 40th birthday. The DJ played songs from the 70's and 80's and we were loving it, until on came the Wurzels singing Blackbird, and all of my siblings and I burst into song, much to the surprise of our partners and other guests. It was a real hoot!





photo from here.

My first husband was called Blackburn, and once when I went to pick up my Christmas order from the butcher the name Blackbird was on the parcel, it did make me smile.

 My mum had a series of 5 bird prints that she bought in America,  she told us all to pick one, as she has 5 children. I picked Mr. Blackbird of course.



So, when you see a little Blackbird a hoppin' in your garden, think on, it could be someone you know!!  Do you have a special affinity with a bird or animal or flower, that has woven itself into the fabric of your life?

 A warm welcome to my new followers, and wishing you all a happy and productive week. With love, Linda x






Nhận xét